Frequently Asked Questions
Care to learn more about services in your home in the Virginia Beach area? Just ask.
Don’t worry that there are so many home health care choices and options in the area. Westminster Canterbury at Home, a subsidiary of Virginia Beach’s premier retirement community, will answer all your questions, either on the phone at 757-496-1653, during a personal visit, or with these Frequently Asked Questions.
What is home health care?
Home health care is a wide range of health care services that can be provided to you in the comfort and convenience of your own home by specially trained care professionals that come to you to treat your injury, illness, or post-hospitalization recovery. Westminster-Canterbury at Home is a care delivery option many people prefer over traditional inpatient care.Close
What services are included in Westminster-Canterbury at Home care?
Westminster-Canterbury at Home provides a complete array of care services, based on what your medical care providers recommend and prescribe for you. As you can see on our Home Health page, the services that can come to you at home include:
- Skilled Nursing, provided by an RN or LPN supervised by an RN
- As-needed assistance from a Home Health Aide related to the care of your injury, illness, or surgery
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Medical Social Services coordinated by a licensed social worker for emotional support and community resources related to your health issue
- Post-surgical care
- Joint replacement support
- Disease management for conditions such as CHF, COPD, Stroke, or Diabetes
- Medication and pain management
- Vital sign monitoring
- Wound care
- Fall Prevention and Safe at Home Program
- Blood sugar and blood pressure monitoring
- Short-term post-acute hospital rehabilitation
- Catheter, tracheostomy and ostomy care
- Oxygen and respiratory therapy
- 24-hour on-call nursing support
Will Medicare pay for Westminster-Canterbury at Home?
Westminster-Canterbury at Home is a Medicare-certified home health care provider. If you have traditional Medicare, your home health benefits will cover Westminster-Canterbury at Home as long as:
You are under the care of a doctor and:
- The services you receive are included in a care plan established and reviewed regularly by the doctor
- Your doctor certifies that you need one or more of these health care services:
- Intermittent skilled nursing care
- Physical Therapy
- Speech-language pathology services
- Continued occupational therapy
- Your doctor certifies you are homebound—leaving your home isn’t recommended, takes considerable effort, or your condition keeps you from leaving home without the help of a wheelchair, walker, special transportation, or help from another person.
How does Medicare pay for home health care?
With traditional Medicare, Medicare pays Westminster-Canterbury at Home for covered services you get during a 60-day period—what’s called an “episode of care.” There is no copayment or coinsurance for this.
Care services must be part-time; Medicare does not pay for custodial care. It’s best to Contact Us to discuss your Medicare coverage based on your specific needs. You may have some out-of-pocket coinsurance on durable medical goods such as wheelchairs or walkers. We can help you plan ahead to avoid unexpected expenses.Close
How do I get started?
Usually a doctor, a discharge planner or a social worker will refer you to us. During your first home visit a Westminster-Canterbury at Home nurse or therapist will review your health needs, your medications, and your plan of care. We work in full cooperation and collaboration with your doctor as a full, caring partner in your health care team!Close
Where can I get more information?
Simply Contact Us!
We look forward to the opportunity to serve you and provide your care the way you want it: At Home!Close